Cruelty-free, organic and vegan cosmetics and products are a rapidly-growing movement in Ireland. It’s exciting to see that there is a growing demand for such cosmetics in the Irish market.
A lot of thought process goes into how we select the brands we stock at Skinfull Affairs. All of the brands available in our store are 100% vegetarian, with the majority of them being vegan. The majority of them also contains organic and natural ingredients, they are all non-toxic and we seek to work with brands that are more sustainable and look into options that will not damage the environment.
Here are our top tips on finding brands that are cruelty-free!
Cruelty-Free Certification Logos, Organic Logos and Vegan Logos
It is important to note that there are only three official cruelty-free certification logos in the world; these are coordinated by PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), Choose Cruelty Free and The Leaping Bunny Program by Cruelty Free International. In Skinfull Affairs, our Ella+Mila collection of 7-Free Nail polishes are PETA certified.
On a different note, many of the brands we stock are certified by the Vegan Society, a certification that ensures that the brand is not only cruelty-free, but free from any animal ingredients or byproducts. We also stock brands that are certified to COSMOS Natural standards, which means they have at least 95% of natural ingredients.
China’s Requirement to Test on Animals by Law
Unfortunately, China is the leading country in the world that still tests on animals. A product can be made in China and be cruelty-free, but the problem is when a product is sold to the Chinese market. All foreign cosmetics are required by law to be tested on animals. For as long as China has no animal welfare law, animal testing can continue.
Before stocking any product at Skinfull Affairs, we request from our suppliers a confirmation they have no intention of selling their products in countries that requires cosmetics to be tested on animals by law. That’s just not our thing.
Raw Ingredients and Ethical, Sustainable Sourcing
In 2013, it became illegal for cosmetics that had been tested on animals to be sold within the EU. This was an incredible landmark step towards a global ban on animal testing, but unfortunately, this has led to many brands getting away with false claims. It is very easy for a brand to claim that they are cruelty-free due to the EU ban, but their suppliers and raw ingredient manufacturers may test on animals somewhere in the world.
At Skinfull Affairs, we work closely with our suppliers to help them opt for plant-based ingredient alternatives. We also source brands that use non-toxic, natural ingredients.
The Brands We Stock at Skinfull Affairs
From natural deodorant to skincare, Skinfull Affairs is your one-stop shop in Dublin for ethical cosmetic products.
- Ella+Mila: Our professional range of nail polishes that are 7-Free and vegan
- Pit Putty: Handmade in Ireland and 100% natural, known as the most effective natural deodorant on the market
- Kripa Venezia: The natural, hypoallergenic, professional makeup range we use in store. Most items are vegan, however, some contains beeswax.
- Toka: The vegan-friendly intimate range that offers lubricants and pelvic trainers
- Kotanical: Ireland’s leading organic essential oil company
- MÓA: Natural, multipurpose range for the skin & body
- Badeanstalten: Handmade range, using natural and luxury ingredients
- Dr. Yon-Ka: Our professional range for face & body treatments with high content of natural & luxury ingredients.
- Dr. Konopka: 100% vegan range of skincare, haircare and body care products with high content of organic and natural ingredients
- Organic Shop: Range that contains organic ingredients offering a selection of creams, scrubs and haircare